ABOUT THE LICHFIELD DANCES
There are various descriptions of the Lichfield Dances in journals and similar archives.
Below are a few that we have found.
The 1957 Journal of the English Folk Dance and Song Society (Vol VIII No. 2) contains an account of the rediscovery of the Lichfield Morris Tradition.
This paper is titled, "The Lichfield Morris, The Story of the Recovery of a 'Lost' Tradition." It contains a comprehensive account of the tradition including details of the dances. Also included are reproductions of the original manuscript notes as shown on the right.
In order to ensure that this information is not lost, the paper is available as a searchable pdf file here (800KB).
The English Folk Dance and Song Society publication "English Dance and Song" Spring 1972 contains an item titled "The discovery of the Lichfield Morris Tradition" by Jack Brown. It can be accessed here (150KB).
The same publication in its Summer 1973 issue provided a reprint from the Illustrated London News of 25 May 1850. It is available here (216KB).
This piece is from an unknown source and is titled "The Lichfield Morris Dances, An Interpretation by the Burton upon Trent Morris Club." It can be accessed here (122KB).
Moving to accounts of specific dances;
Milley's Bequest is named after an almshouse for women in Lichfield. More on Wikipedia >>
Sheriff's Ride is an annual event on 8 September when the Sheriff of Lichfield rides on horseback around the city boundary. More from the Lichfield District Council website >>
The Barefooted Quaker is named for George Fox, founder of the Religious Society of Friends. More about his association with Lichfield can be found in his journal >> and a 19th century painting of the scene can be found on the BBC site >>
Ring O' Bells could be named for the famous 3-spired cathedral of Lichfield or could be simply named after one of the long-lost pubs in the city.
Vandals of Hammerwich remembers the burning of part of Cannock Forest in 1296. More on the Burntwood Town Council website >>
Castlering is an Iron Age hill fort on the south side of Cannock Chase. More on Wikipedia >>